Friday, February 18, 2011

It does take getting used to

For the last two weeks I haven't done an all day fast. I usually incorporate two 38-48 hour fasts per week but because of travelling and work lately, I have skipped them.

I am just going to end one today that will be a 44 hour fast and I have to admit that this was one of the hardest ones. I usually have no problem completing a long fast. I will think about food two or three times during the day which is easily put aside and the hunger pains are minimal. But, because I haven't done it for a while, I noticed a difference this time. I thought about food almost the whole time and had hunger pains several times during the day yesterday.

Obviously it does take getting used to. You have to condition yourself for this lifestyle. I find the 19 hour fasts that I do daily are now a non-issue but at first they were a bit challenging. Your body gets used to it eventually but there is a bit of a "withdrawal" period that you have to go through and that is what I was probably experiencing yesterday.

I know this works and I know that the hunger pains go away once you get used to it, so if any of you are having issues, it is all about routine. Just get in a routine for most of the week, a good 5 or 6 days at least and your body will adjust.

Now that I got through yesterday, I feel great this morning. The day after the long fast is always the best for me, and this morning the scale said down 2.5 Lbs so also great motivation!

1 comment:

  1. It's so ironic I would read this today..I just finished getting a post scheduled for tomorrow..called Four Years on Intermittent Fasting. This month marks four years that I have been fasting....Your right, the body does adjust....I can't see myself eating three meals a day.....I don't think my body could handle it,,and to be honest with you,,mentally and emotionally. I know when I eat more than 'normal' during my breaking fast..I'm totally miserable, I become depressed, and lazy....Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails